Sabudana Vada (Tapioca Pearl Fritters) is a popular Maharashtrian snack dish. This is served specially during vrat/fasting but it is also a very popular and healthy and can be eaten as breakfast and evening snack. The crispy vadas with a soft and delicious interior tastes great when served hot with curd/yogurt or green chutney. Deep frying the vadas in oil makes them very crispy and delicious but in the process soaks up a lot of oil. So here I have tried to make them in oven and also shallow fried in Appe pan. This takes very little oil and tastes great.
Baked Sabudana Vada - Tapioca Pearl Fritters Recipe
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 - 45 minutes
Yield: 15 - 20 pieces
Marinating time: Soaking Time: 6 - 8 hours over-night
- Sabudana (Tapioca Pearl): 3 cups, soaked
- Potatoes: 4-5 large, boiled and mashed
- Grated ginger: 2 teaspoon
- Green chilli: 2, chopped finely
- Cumin seeds: 1 ½ teaspoon
- Roasted peanuts: 1 cup, coarsely crushed
- Rock salt or Sendha namak or Regular Salt: As per taste
- Lemon juice: 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil or any refined oil: 2 tablespoon
- Wash and soak the sabudana (tapioca pearl) for 4-6 hours or overnight. Drain and spread on a colander so that any extra water is drained out.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients except oil. Mix well.
- Wet palms and shape the mix into round patties.
- FOR BAKING -
- Line the baking tray with aluminium foil and grease with a little olive oil. Preheat the oven to 400 F or 200 C.
- Place the patties on the tray. Baking for 40-45 minutes, flipping over after 10 minutes.
- USING APPE PAN -
- Heat the appe pan on medium flame. Grease the appe moulds on appe pan with very little oil.
- Place the vadas/patties in appe moulds.
- Cover and cook the vadas turning 2-3 times till brown and crisp on both sides. Serve hot and crispy vadas with curd or chutney or even ketchup.