Tadka Dal or Egg Tadka Dal is a colloquial dish that characterises Bengali Dhaba style eating. This specific dish is very popular in Bengal, especially those who are fond of this dhaba-style cuisine. This can very well be called as the sub variant of the North Indian, especially Punjabi dish Dal Tadka which in itself is an immensely popular dish. However, in this particular dish, the principal lentil used is whole green gram (moong) instead of Toor Dal (Pigeon Peas) or Chana Dal. The recipe is quite different but very easy. In Kolkata and other parts of Bengal, this dish is a hot favourite and an essential component of roadside and dhaba style eating. It usually comes in three forms namely, plain tadka dal, egg tadka dal and chicken tadka dal. Out of that, today I am sharing with you the first two types. Try it out, this simple dish will definitely make its mark on your taste buds.
Bengali Egg Tadka Dal Recipe
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: Serves: 4 - 5
- Whole Green Gram: 2 cups, soaked for 4-5 hours or overnight
- Onions: 1 large, finely chopped
- Ginger: 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Garlic: 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 large, finely chopped
- Green Chillies: 2-3, finely chopped
- Cumin Seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder: ½ teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder: 1 teaspoon
- Oil: 2 tablespoon+ 1 teaspoon
- Eggs: 3
- Salt: As per taste
- Kasoori Methi: 1 tablespoon
- Water: As per requirement
- Chopped Coriander Leaves: 1 tablespoon
- Wash the soaked moong, pressure cook with a pinch of salt and turmeric to give 1 whistle. Switch off the flame and let the pressure release on its own.
- In a pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Pour the eggs and make scrambled eggs. Take out and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tablespoon oil. Add cumin seeds.
- As the cumin seeds splatter, add chopped onions. Fry till they turn translucent. Add chopped ginger and garlic. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and green chillies. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix and cook for 3-4 minutes or till the mix turns mushy and oil starts separating.
- Add Garam Masala powder. Mix well.
- Add the cooked dal. Add water as per required consistency. Let it simmer on medium flame for 4-5 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Add the scrambled eggs to the dal, leaving a little for garnish. Mix well.
- Add crushed kasoori methi. Mix well and cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish tadka dal with the rest of the scrambled eggs. Serve hot with Tandoori Roti, Roomali Roti or Paratha.