‘Coverage Cutlet’ signifies a particular way of making the cutlet wherein the basic cutlet is fried and covered in an egg nest. This iconic version of cutlet is a descendent of the British Colonial era cuisine and has been colloquialised as ‘Kobiraji Cutlet’ or ‘Kabiraji Cutlet’. It is a very popular dish and is sold and served in many restaurants in Kolkata. The spicy Bengali delicacy is slightly tricky to prepare and requires some practice. Preparing the cutlet itself is same as that of the breaded version. What differentiates it from the usual cutlet is the frothy-fluffy egg-nest that it is covered with later on. Inspired from British and French cuisine, this is an absolute Bengali specialty. We love to have it from restaurants and food stalls especially during Durga Pujo and other festivities. But at acheter viagra times, giving it a try at home is even more enjoyable and worth the effort taken.
Chicken Kabiraji Cutlet - Chicken Coverage Cutlet Recipe
Preparation time: 30 - 45 minutes
Cook time: 10 - 15 minutes
Yield: 7 - 8 pieces
- Chicken Mince: 400 grams
- Onion: 1 cup, finely chopped
- Minced Ginger: 1 tablespoon
- Minced Garlic: 1 tablespoon
- Chopped Green Chilies: 1 tablespoon or as per tolerance
- Chopped Cilantro: ½ cup
- Lemon Juice: 2 tablespoon
- Bhaja Moshla (Roasted Spice Mix):1 tablespoon
- Bengali Garam Masala: 1 ½ teaspoon
- Salt: As per taste
- Eggs 1-2
- FOR THE EGGWASH & FRYING -
- Eggs: 4-5
- Corn flour/ refined flour: 3-4 tablespoon
- Salt: A pinch
- Pepper Powder: A pinch
- Bread Crumbs: As per requirement
- Oil: For deep frying
- FOR THE EGG NEST -
- Eggs: 4-5
- Corn flour: 2-3 tablespoon
- Water: 2 tablespoon
- Salt: A pinch
- Wash the minced chicken and strain all the excess water out.
- Put the mince in a mixing bowl. Add lemon juice, salt, onion, minced ginger-garlic, chopped green chilies and cilantro, bhaja moshla and garam masala powder. Mix well.
- Keep covered in a refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Take out from the refrigerator. Line a tray or plate with butter paper. Take out portions from the mix and shape into cutlets
- Break two eggs in a bowl, add corn flour/refined flour, salt, pepper powder and 3-4 tablespoon water. Mix well. Spread bread crumbs in a plate.
- Carefully coat a cutlet with bread crumbs, dip in egg wash and again coat with bread crumbs. Repeat same for the rest. Keep covered in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. When sufficiently hot, reduce the flame. Fry the cutlets till golden brown in color. Take out on an absorbent towel.
- In a bowl beat eggs, 3-4 tablespoon water, corn flour, salt and pepper till fluffy.
- In the same pan, keeping the flame low, with the help of fingers, drop the egg mixture in a back and forth manner in the oil n such a manner that it forms a kind of net. As the fluffy egg-nest starts getting cooking, with the help of large tongs, place a fried cutlet on it. Immediately cover the cutlet with egg net from all sides.
- Fry till golden brown (do not over fry), take out on a paper towel lined plate. Repeat same for the rest.
- Serve hot n spicy chicken kabiraji cutlet with kasundi (mustard sauce) and salad.